If you don't need the sophisticated capabilities of VortexBox Player and mpd, and all you want to do is play your music collection controlled by SqueezeBox Server with output to the audio output jacks on your VortexBox, I suggest trying SqueezeSlave as your player instead of VortexBox Player.
SqueezeSlave plays flac files flawlessly, with no skips or stutters that are currently plaguing VortexBox Player and mpd.
Here's how to run it:
1. Log into your VortexBox as root.
2. Enter service squeezeslave start
3. The SqueezeSlave player should now show up in the SBS web page as a player named VortexBox, as well as on the Duet Remote and on an iPod Touch running iPeng. Note that VortexBox is a different player than VortexBox Player.
4. Select the VortexBox player from the SBS web interface, send some flac files to the playlist, and enjoy flac output to your VB audio output jacks without skips and stutters.
5. For more info, see http://wiki.slimdevices.com/in.....ueezeSlave
Note: There are known problems with SqueezeSlave and switching back and forth between Internet streams and your local library, so VortexBox Player is better for that. But if all you are doing is playing music from your own library, and primarily flac, then SqueezeSlave will do it better (right now) than VortexBox Player.