Thanks for the tips Bruce. It's good to know I'm not the only one struggling with this.
I've included below the response to the DVDAE ticket in hopes that it will help others in a similar situation.
On Tue 04/24 at 08:08AM UTC email@example.com wrote:
First of all, I need to explain that Vortexbox is not fully supported platform by dvdae, due to the nature that it doesn't come with native GUI by default. I am talking about GUI like Gnome or KDE, not the web GUI interface. We tried to work with guys at Vortexbox for better integration but haven't been very successful.
1. dvdae-gui exists on the Fedora version. To use it you should either use Fedora, or install the GUI packages manually on Vortexbox, as explained at :
2. You could enter metadata at dvdae-gui. dvdae CLI will just download whatever metadata found from our server, which someone else had entered and uploaded from dvdae-gui.
3. If the disc is detected as DVD-Video, it might go to the video-ripping mode. But you could certainly rip from DVD-Video disc too, by issuing dvdae command directly, like:
dvdae --tag --output="/Music/%ARTIST% - %ALBUM%" --name-format="%INDEX%
%CHAPTER%" -fflac -c2 -b24 -w /dev/sr0
check "dvde --help" for more details on all the options you could use.
4. Not sure what the problem is. Please try dvdae-gui or run "dvdae -l" to check if any valid title/chapter listed.
5. The error message just means that result file for chapter 6, named "/storage/music/flac/Unknown Artist - DVDVOLUME/06 Chapter 01.flac", can't be open to write. The confusing words come from out windows version and we'll make sure to get it fixed.
Since this is a simple file name with no invalid character, please check for other things that might cause file opening error, like if there are enough free disc space, if the file is already opened by other process, etc.
6. At this point, you are on your own to run dvdae on Vortexbox. But still, you could find more about usage with "dvdae --help". And if you choose to use dvdae-gui, it comes with a more detailed html help document. Please feel free to submit a support ticket whenever you meet a problem.
Last edited by wgrant; 04-24-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Reason: Response added