I'm a newbie here, having built my first music server a week or so ago. Seemed like a good idea, and I like the idea of it. I am experiencing a few issues, and could use some help.
IBM SFF P4 3.0GHz machine, 80GB Sata, 1GB RAM, internal network card. Resides on GREEN zone of my SMOOTHWALL firewall.
two iMacs connecting wirelessly to Airport Express, onto the ORANGE zone of my SMOOTHWALL.
When I get this working, I'll connect in my Samsung LA-46-C650 TV (DLNA) into the network on the green zone. Most used will be the Squeezebox server, to serve my squeezbox - which is currently wireless on the Orange zone, but will migrate to the greenzone when my cabling is complete. I hope it all works.
Built VortexBox, couldn't see it, saw the "no IP address for eth): DHCP not working?" stuff, and read through numerous pages here.
I read about static IP, read about "hardware is initialized using a guess method" approach, and adding four lines to my ifcfg file. I've never been able to see this VortexBox from my iMac (need to ensure I can bridge networks through my firewall), and have never seen a successful boot on the VortexBox TTY interface. I persevere, though!
Past actions in troubleshooting:
- I've assigned a static IP on the vortexbox (forum ref), and reserved this on the Smoothwall. Still no fix. Network is not up at bootup, still initializing hardware (sound) with the guess method.
- I ran an 'alsactl store' command to create the /etc/asound.state file that's missing (another forum ref).
- I checked my ifcfg-eth0, found that ONBOOT=yes, and my fixed IP were registering okay.
- I added the four lines to the ifcfg file using nano - service NetworkManager stop, service network restart, chkconfig NetworkManager off, chkconfig network on.
- NONE of this worked for me… in fact, the machine got so busy terminating processes and running hot, I rebuilt it from scratch.
- FYI my Smoothwall is at good ol' 192.168.0.1, and acts as the default gateway, routing everything that needs (and is allowed to get) out, through my cable modem.
Where are you now then?
- Fresh build – plain vanilla, no options taken.
- Fixed IP address.
- I've pPn-holed my orange zone connections (Airport network and iMac as belt-and-braces) through the SMOOTHWALL to the IP address of the VortexBox. I used SMB All (137:139) as the network port that the Vortexbox uses. Can't see itthe VortexBox from my mac.
- The network isn't coming up on boot; comes up later. Never specifies an IP address, or advertises (on the monitor, at least) what the hostname is.
- I still have the Audio issue – that ICH4, the Analog Devices AD1981B AC97a isn't recognised, and the Hardware is initialised using a guess method.
How can we help?
[*]I'd really like to know the solid way of addressing this Sound issue; I understand from what I've read here that this gets in the way of the network.[*]I'd like to be able to see that the machine boots to the network and reports it's IP address and hostname. I can then concentrate on making sure I can network this so that it's seen on the other firewall zone.[*]What network ports does the VortexBox use? I need to ensure the SMOOTHWALL is passing the traffic from my iMacs in the Orange zone, accross to the Green zone where the VortexBox lives.
I'll post some images of the thing taken immediately after it's rebuild tonight, in the next post on this thread. Hopefully they're helpful with your diagnosis – not having browser access to the box, I figured these were the next best thing.
Thanks in advance for your help, and best wishes from downunder.