Here's how to get mediatomb running on VortexBox 1.6/F14:
1. Login to your VortexBox as root.
2. Execute the following commands:
rpm –e mp4v2 libmp4v2-0
yum ––disablerepo=vortexbox install mediatomb
3. Edit /etc/mediatomb.conf and change
service mediatomb start
5. In your web browser, go to http://vortexbox:50500 to get the mediatomb web interface.
6. On the mediatomb web interface, setup mediatomb to use the /storage directory:
Click on Filesystem
Click on /storage
Click on "+ (add)" or "+ (Add as autoscan dir)"
7. mediatomb should now be available on your uPnP control device.
8. If you want to mediatomb to autostart on reboot:
chkconfig mediatomb on
9. You may also need to edit /etc/mediatomb/config.xml to get the appropriate transcodings that you want.
for more info.
/usr/share/doc/mediatomb-0.12.1/README has detailed user info.
I have tested this with an iPad using the AirPlayer app to play music (FLAC and mp3) from my VortexBox library on the iPad.
Caution: removing the mp4v2 and libmp4v2-0 packages may impact other VortexBox features, but I'm not sure for what mp4v2 and libmp4v2-0 are needed. VortexBox Player seems to work OK without them.
Also, removing libmp4v2-0 and installing libmp4v2 causes problems with the VortexBox update process: yum update wants to reinstall libmp4v2-0, but cannot since libmp4v2 is needed by mediatomb. If you update from the command line, use
yum ––skip-broken update
Updates from the VB GUI should be OK, since it uses the "––skip-broken" option.