X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VortexBox 2.3 released!

It's been over a year since our last full release of VortexBox. There have been small incremental updates but not a big release. VortexBox 2.3 is finally ready! Thanks to the work of our community the release has a huge number of features and updates. Although the interface looks the same, most of the features are in the underlying technology.

- SqueezeBox Server 7.8.0 the latest release from Community Squeeze
    - Fedora 20 with better hardware support for new DACs, motherboards, etc
    - Squeezelite as a built-in player
    - Full DSD support - play DSD direct to a DSD capable DAC or transcode to PCM in-line for non DSD DACs
    - Backup and restore now does the LMS settings as well
    - Network-based install so you can install from a USB key
    - Latest PlexMedia Server to serve files to TVs and video devices
    - SqueezeBox Server Google Music plug-in prebuilt for VortexBox
    - SqueezeBox Server Shairport (Airplay) plug-in prebuilt for VortexBox

Thanks to the community for all your hard work on features, bug fixes, testing, etc!

Download the ISO here http://vortexbox.org/downloads

Thanks Andrew. VB 2.2 has been such a stable platform. I look forward to more of the same with 2.3! I note the link above still takes one to 2.2iso. Also a question: does 2.3 have subsonic built in as did 2.2? thanks again, Jim

Comment

• andrew
      andrew commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes VortexBox 2.3 has the latest version of Subsonic in the package manager. Refresh your browser to see the latest iso.

• JimPro
      JimPro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Andrew!

The isolinux.cfg file in the ISO still says "menu title Welcome to VortexBox 2.3 BETA"

You may wish to remove the "BETA" so users will know this is the final VB 2.3, not the BETA.

Comment

• andrew
      andrew commented
      Editing a comment
      Oops!......

I only care about the sound quality on 2.3, any benefit of 2.2 to 2.3 ?

Comment

I'm new here and my English is not so good.
      I canĀ“t install the new VB 2.3. after installation I can only see the bios start window. I have a intel dual core 2.0 Ghz and 2GB of memory and a 500 gb hard drive. Before running VB 2.2 without problems. what have I done wrong.

Comment

Are there instructions posted on installing with USB drive? Thanks.

Comment

Just a tip, since I ran into this problem since I got a blank screen after the install seemed to have started... this is a 'net' install, so your computer has to be connected to the internet when you do the install!

Comment

Yes, I was connected to the Internet, there have been downloaded 224 MB and has 350 packages installed

Comment

Wonderful, I did the process until the morning, Congrats

Comment

Why is the new ISO image only 40Mb? vs 2.2 was much larger

Comment

• andrew
                  andrew commented
                  Editing a comment
                  VortexBox 2.3 is a net install. There is nothing on the ISO but a boot loader.

Makes sense !.. As per the feature " SqueezeBox Server Shairport (Airplay) plug-in prebuilt for VortexBox". Maybe I am mistaken where we go to configure this or get it to work.

Comment

• andrew
                  andrew commented
                  Editing a comment

• elmatador
                  elmatador commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm having no luck w Shairport. The directories containing config files as described at github don't exist. I can install Shairport thru the gui or form console but can't "see" VB to stream to from iOS 7. Can anyone shed light?

Installed 2.3, reinstalled music files/database from USB backup, and everything is back up and running, music plays, etc. No problems at all as of yet. Nice job, Andrew et, al. Most trouble-free install, yet.

Comment

Still confused about USB install. Do I simply save the ISO to my computer, copy to thumb drive, plug into vb then reboot?

Comment

• andrew
                    andrew commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There are quite a few ways to make a bootable USB key from an ISO. It depends on what operating system your using. You can just use dd from Linux. A quick Google search turned up this utility for Windows (I have not used it) http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

There are other tools for mac although dd should work on mac as well.

At some point somebody can write a doc on how to do this. Maybe once we get the new Wiki on-line.

• treble101
                    treble101 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, what andrew says :-) I followed the following directions on a Mac, works great (if you follow the partition directions too :-) ):
                    http://borgstrom.ca/2010/10/14/os-x-bootable-usb.html

• robertsand
                    robertsand commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think the unetbootin tool Andrew links to should be fairly easy. I used another utility I had laying around, from when installing xbmc on my raspberry, called win32diskimager. It doesn't support iso files though, but a rename from iso to img for the Vortexbox image seems to work as intended. My box booted up fine, and is downloading the install files...
                    http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

After installing Vortexbox 2.3 I got a message like "Vortexbox is still installing please reboot". After rebooting I get the message "403 Forbidden". Samba and ssh are up and running.
                  How can I correct this?

Comment

• andrew
                    andrew commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The message was "VortexBox is still installing. Wait for your VortexBox to reboot then reload this page." you need to do what it says and wait for VortexBox to complete it's installation. By rebooting in the middle of the install you have corrupted the installation. Now you need to install again from scratch.

Thanks for keeping this project moving forward Andrew!
                  Great job!!

Comment

Working...
                  X